History Podcasts

Vidofner ScStr - History

Vidofner ScStr - History

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.


(ScStr.: t. 27; l. 58'9"; b. 11'; dr. 3'6" (mean), s. 14 k.; cpl. 10; a. 1 1-pdr., 1 mg.)

Vidofner (SP-402)—a small, wooden-hulled, screw steamer completed in 1906 at South Boston, Mass., by Murray and Tregurtha-was acquired by the Navy on 19 May 1917 from S. H. Freihefer, H. M. Pfiel and E. G. Schmidneiser and was commissioned at the Philadelphia Navy Yard on 7 June 1917, Lt. (jg.) Edgar S. Husband, USNRF, in command.

Following an overhaul and a short trial run down the Delaware River to test her engines, Vidofner was assigned to local navy yard patrol duties at Philadelphia and commenced her initial patrol on 31 July. During this first night out, she arrested two men in a row boat and eight men in a cutter as they tried to enter the reserve basin area-a forbidden zone. When these men were returned to their respective ships, they were identified and released. In this same vein, the patrol craft picked up a man in a skiff, on 2 August, "who was acting suspiciously." When the man was identified by the yard quartermaster, he, too, was released.

At 1115 on 5 August, an aide from the district commandant's office arrived at the dock and requested that Vidofner make ready to get underway at once. Accordingly, an inspection party boarded the vessel and she headed downstream toward Henderson (Transport No. 1), which had grounded earlier that day. Early the following day, after the inspection party had been transferred to the stranded troopship, Vidofner headed back to the navy yard and relieved Little Aie on patrol at 0800. Two hours later, Vidofner stopped tug Sam Weller near a restricted area and ordered her out. When the tug failed to comply quickly enough, the patrol boat

fired two shots in the air—sufficient prodding to hurry the tug on her way.

Vidofner remained on patrol duty at the Philadelphia yard until assigned to northern net patrol at the mouth of the Delaware Bay on 31 August. Her first month on patrol in that area was uneventful. On 8 October, however, the relative calm of her existence was blown to the winds as a heavy storm swept across Delaware Bay, threatening to scatter the flotilla on patrol duty there. Vidofner dragged anchor at 0730 and fouled Seagull ( SP-544) before getting underway and clearing the other SP-boat. After taking "a bad pounding" in the rough seas, Vidofner dropped both anchors and moored off Brown Shoal Buoy in hopes of riding out the storm.

The tempest did not let up, though, and continued instead with unabated fury. Seagull, unable to get underway, drifted off into the pre-dawn darkness on the 9th, dragging her anchors and sending out SOS signals. Ordered to make for the breakwater at Lewes, Del., where some measure of shelter was afforded Videfner got underway and made haven-Seagull eventually arrived by 0815 at the end of a towline.

After shifting her base of operations to Cape May, N.J., on 13 October, Vidofner performed net patrol duties in the Delaware capes area until she was decommissioned at Essington, Pa., near Philadelphia, on 7 December 1917 and returned to her owners.

Vidofner ScStr - History

(ScStr: t. 464 1. 163' b. 24'4 dr. 11'9 cpl. 64 a.
4 32-pars., 1 12-pdr.sb., 1 20-par. P.r., 4 32-pdrs.)

Sumpter or Sumter, ax-Atlanta, ex-Parker Vein was built in 1853 by Hillman and Streaker, Philadelphia, Pa. The merchant steamer was chartered by the Navy on 13 September 1858 to take part in the expedition against Paraguay purchased outright on 26 May 1859 and renamed Sumpter.

Under the command of Comdr. Daniel R. Ridgely, Sumpter and 18 other warships arrived at Asuncion, on 26 January 1859, to take action against that country for firing on Water Witch in 1855. However, the government of Paraguay offered an apology and paid an indemnity which settled the affair without resorting to violence.

When the squadron returned to the United States, Sumpter and four other screw steamers were assigned to cruise the coasts of Cuba and Africa to suppress the slave trade. Sumpter sailed from the west coast of Africa, on 10 August 1861, and returned to the United States on 15 September.

On 6 January 1862, Sumpter was ordered to report to Port Royal, S.C., and join the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron and on 2 February was reported to have joined the squadron and the next day sailed to Charleston. On 18 March she participated in the capture of the British blockade runner Emil St. Pierre off that port. The ship returned to Port Royal, on 23 April, for repairs and departed on the 29th to take station off Wassaw Inlet, Ga.

Sumpter rejoined the blockade off Charleston in early May and remained there until August. In mid-May, she sent a boat to Fort Pulaski to gain information regarding Confederate gunboats but the boat wandered into St. Augustine Creek, near Fort Jackson, and was captured. She was then ordered to Fernandina, Fla., to join the blockade there. The steamer sailed from there on 6 October en route to New York for repairs, via Port Royal. After her repairs were completed, Sumpter was assigned to the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron at Hampton Roads, Va. Her duty was to search for Confederate cruisers and blockade runners. She was stationed off Hampton Bar in May 1863 but, the following month, was sent to the Yorktown area to search for the Confederate privateer, Clarence. In the morning of 24 June, she collided with the Union transport, General Meigs, eight or nine miles from the Smith Island lighthouse and sank in seven fathoms of water. The officers and crew were rescued by Jamestown and taken to Newport News, Va.

Vidofner's man-cave-reef

This is a sketch of how my next tank will look. It will be a 120x120x60 cm cube which equals 864 liters. It will have a coast to coast overflow and use the herbie overflow plumbing technique. The tank will be in my little man cave and next to this man cave is the garage.
In the garage I will keep the sump. I've drilled a 125 mm hole in the wall that divides the man cave and the garage. This hole is of course for the PVC pipes to go through.

I'm still renovating my man cave with new hard wood floor, wood panel backscene and repainting the rest. It's tricky to do these kinds of renovations with my current tank in the same room. But I need to get started with the renovation since the new tank will be in this room aswell. So basically I'm renovating half of the room at a time. Right now I'm working on the half where the new tank will be and when that is done and I've moved over the live stock from the old tank, I will continue with the rest.

I've been running my old 432 liter system for almost 4 years now and I recently moved from my 73 sqm city apartment into a 165 sqm terrace house in the suburbs so of course this tank needed an upgrade .

My old tank had a focus on acropora but it was a mixed reef with LPS's aswell. It started abit rocky when I decided to go for acropora. I had very few acropora that grew and most of them died within a couple of months. When I finally realized the importance of being anal with KH testing my luck changed. However I still had problems with some acropora not growing.
That's when I found out I had a major infestation of acropora eating flatworm (Amakusaplana acroporae). After 12 weeks of dipping and 6 weeks without any traces of AEFW I finally felt confident enough to stop dipping them. Here are some picture of my old tank before the move:

In my next tank I've decided to skip having LPS's (except for euphyllia) which will allow me a wider selection of fish. For example I will be having alot more angelfishes.

When I moved my tank I didn't feel like reestablish the live stock into my old tank again. Getting the rocks and corals out without breakage would be hard enough and to get it back like it was without breaking a majority of it would be near impossible.
The solution was to get a cheap plastic container (something you usually see at the recycling central ) and put everything in. This made the move alot easier since I could basically just dump all the rocks and corals down this container without caring for glass that can break and stuff like that

I live in Sweden and sadly there aren't many custom aquarium builders available so I decided to order the display tank from diamantaquarien from Germany. However there is one in close proximity to where I live and even though the details aren't as great as diamantaquarien the tanks are still of good quality so I ordered my sump from him.

The compartment to the right in the image above is ment for water changes. The idea is to fork the pipe that delivers water to the sump. One end goes into this compartment and the other goes into the middle compartment so when I want to do a water change ill just turn off the water to the right compartment, drain it, fill it with RO/DI water and salt and when it's mixed ill just turn the water on in this compartment again and the freshly mixed water will combine with the tank water.

For the main display I will let diamantaquarien build a steel stand but for the sump I'll just build it myself. Here is a sketch of how my sump stand will look.

Lastly, here are some images of my current tank being run in the plastic container!


A firm's stakeholders are the individuals, groups, or other organizations that are affected by and also affect the firm's decisions and actions. Depending on the specific firm, stakeholders may include governmental agencies such as the Securities and Exchange Commission, social activist groups such as Greenpeace, self-regulatory organizations such as the National Association of Securities Dealers, employees, shareholders, suppliers, distributors, the media and even the community in which the firm is located among many others.

World War I operations [ edit | edit source ]

Sea Gull patrolled the waters of the 4th Naval District during her World War I service. Based at Essington, Pennsylvania, she cruised off the Essington Shipbuilding Company yard and its environs until the war's end.

On 8 October 1917, a heavy storm swept across Delaware Bay, threatening to scatter the flotilla, of which Sea Gull was a part, on patrol duty there. The patrol boat USS Vidofner (SP-402) dragged anchor at 07:30 hours and fouled Sea Gull before getting underway and clearing Sea Gull. In the rough seas, both patrol boats dropped their anchors and moored off Brown Shoal Buoy in the hope of riding out the storm, which did not let up. Sea Gull, unable to get underway, drifted off into the pre-dawn darkness on 9 October 1917, dragging her anchors and sending out SOS signals. Sea Gull eventually was taken under tow by another vessel and made haven behind the breakwater at Lewes, Delaware, on 9 October 1917 by 08:15 hours. She found Vidofner, which had arrived under her own power, already there. Ώ]

1 News Now (New Zealand): "Tears, smiles and hard work"

About the author:

1 News Now, New Zealand's number one TV station, reports on Harita Davies's completing the Sri Chinmoy Self-Transcendence 3,100-Mile Race.

"Christchurch-born Harita Davies has completed one of the more remarkable feats in endurance running, finishing the Sri Chinmoy 3100-mile race around a half-mile block in Queens, New York." For complete story.

(Photo: Harita Davies, right)


Collectors and students of Confederate edged weapons, especially those of the Confederate States Navy, will recognize a unique cutlass that has been attributed to the CSS Florida. The background to this attribution can be found in an example from the Philip Medicus collection. In the book American Swords from the Philip Medicus Collection there is illustrated such a cutlass (Figure 1) with the following description:

“Confederate Naval cutlass associated with the CSS Florida. This attribution is based on another example, which had an old tag on it stating that it had been sold at the Florida’s prize court auction in Philadelphia. On the brass hilt, the homemade guard, made of three branches, is heavy and crude with a cutlass-like handguard on the opposite side. The two-piece wood grip is fashioned with rivet fasteners. The plain blade is straight, single-edged, and measures 26 inches. There are no markings. No scabbard.”

Figure 1: Photograph of Plate 11 from American Swords From the Philip Medicus Collection. Florida cutlass second in from the right. Courtesy Mowbray Publishers.

Having two of these cutlasses in my collection, I thought I would attempt to research the origins of this attribution and find out more about Florida. I first discovered that the cutlass with the “old tag” on it was once in the collection of Sidney C. Kerksis, therefore I had no reason to doubt the validity of the attribution.

The two cutlasses in my collection only differ slightly. They each have slightly curved blades. Number 1 has a blade length of 25 3/8 inches long with an overall length of 30 5/8 inches, and number 2 a blade length of 25 ¼ inches long and an overall length of 30 13/16 inches. (Figure 2) There is a unique cutout in the blade where they intersect with the hilt (Figure 3). The brass two branch guard is roughly cast and the two piece wood grip is secured to the tang with three random iron rivets (Figure 4). The blade on each cutlass contains what appear to be forging hammer marks (Figure 5) and I have observed these marks on other examples I have examined.

Figure 2: Photograph of two Florida Cutlasses (No. 1 on the top). Author’s Collection.

Figure 3. Photograph of the unique blade cutout. Author’s Collection

Figure 4: Photographs of the guards. Author’s Collection.

Figure 5: Photograph of forging marks on the blades. Author’s Collection

I was fortunate to obtain cutlass Number 1 from the collection of the late ASAC member Fred Edmunds through the Horse Soldier in 2001. After I purchased the cutlass, Fred was kind enough to send me a letter providing me with a history of the piece.

Wes Small, of The Horse Soldier, has requested that I drop you a line and furnish you with information concerning the Confederate Naval Cutlass which you purchased from him sometime ago. I am enclosing a copy of the write-up which I prepared for their catalog when the item was offered for sale. I am not sure it is word-for-word with the catalog entry. At any rate, the cutlass was displayed in The Confederate States Armory & Museum, which I owned and operated in Gettysburg, from May 1992 to July, 1999, along with many other Confederate weapons. Also enclosed herein, you will find Norm Flayderman’s catalog # 37, which was issued in May of 1959. Your Confederate Naval Cutlass is the exact one described as item #493. Also, at a price of $74.50, it was a pretty good buy at the time!

Enjoy it in your collection!

Cutlass Number 2 in my collection was obtained from an antique shop in Norfolk, Virginia in 2016 with no provenance other than it came from the estate of a local collector.

Over the years of displaying my Confederate Naval collection at various Civil War shows, I received many comments as to the origins of these Florida cutlasses. One such speculation was that they were purchased by the Florida in Bahia, Brazil, when the ship made a port visit there prior to it being seized by the USS Wachusett in 1864. I do not believe that the origin of these cutlasses to be anything but Southern so I was determined to find out the truth. I discovered that the Confederacy had not one but five ships named Florida. Searching for references, I discovered a series of books titled “Directory of American Naval Fighting Ships.” Volume II of the series lists ships of the Confederate States Navy. It was my hope that by reviewing the history of each of the ships named Florida I would find a clue as to the origin of these cutlasses. Below are quoted excerpts that document the history of each of the ships:

(ScAlp: l. 191’ b. 27’2” dph. 14’ dr. 13’ s. 9.5 k.

(12 under canvas) cpl. 146 a. 6 6” r., 2 7” r., 1 12-pdr.)

CSS Cruiser Florida was built by the British firm of William C. Miller & Sons and purchased by the Confederacy from Fawcett, Preston & Co., also of Liverpool who designed her. Known in the shipyard as Oreto and initially called by the Confederates Manassas, the first of the foreign-built commerce raiders was commissioned Florida Union records long continued to refer to her as Oreto or to confuse her with Alabama although, fitted with two funnels she was readily distinguishable from single-stacked Alabama.

Florida departed England 22 March 1862 for Nassau to coal and contrived to fill her bunkers, although entitled only to enough to make the nearest Confederate port. The Governor drew the line, however, at an attempted rendezvous with her tender in Nassau harbor so she transferred stores and arms at isolated Green Cay. There she was commissioned as Florida 17 August, with veteran Lt. John Newland Maffitt, CSN, in command. During her outfit, yellow fever raged among her crew, in 5 days reducing her effective force to one fireman and four deckhands. In desperate plight, she ran across to Cuba. There in Cardenas, Maffitt too was stricken with the dreaded disease.

In this condition, against all probability, the intrepid Maffitt sailed her from Cardenas to Mobile. In an audacious dash the “Prince of Privateers” braved a hail of projectiles from the Union blockaders and raced through them to anchor beneath the guns of Ft. Morgan for a hero’s welcome by Mobile. Florida had been unable to fight back not only because of sickness, but because rammers, sights, beds, locks and quoins had, inadvertently, not been loaded at Nassau. Having taken stores and gun accessories she lacked, along with added crew members, Florida escaped to sea 16 January 1863.

After coaling again at Nassau, she spent 6 months off North and South America and in the West Indies, with calls at neutral ports, all the while making captures and eluding the large Federal squadron pursuing her.

Florida sailed 27 July from Bermuda for Breast, where she lay in the French Government dock from 23 August 1863 to 12 February 1864. There, broken in health, Maffitt relinquished command to Lieutenant Morris. Departing for the West Indies, Florida bunkered at Barbados, although the 3 months specified by British law had not elapsed since last coaling at an Empire port. She then skirted the U.S. coast, sailed east to Tenerife in the Canaries and then to Bahia, 4 October 1864.

Anchored in the Brazilian haven, on 7 October Florida was caught defenseless in a night attack by Comdr. Napoleon Collins of USS Wachusett, while her captain was ashore with half his crew. Towed to sea, she was sent to the United States as a prize despite Brazil’s protests at this violation of neutral rights.

At Newport News, 28 November 1864, Florida reached the end of her strange career when she sank in a collision with the USAT Alliance, a troop ferry and thus could not be delivered to Brazil in satisfaction of the final court order. Commander Collins was court-martialed but won fame and eventual promotion for his daring.

Florida captured 37 prizes during her impressive career her prizes Tacony and Clarence in turn took 23 more.

(Bark: t. 296 dr. 12’ a. 1 12-pdr. how.)

Tacony, also called Florida No. 2, was built in 1856 at Newcastle, Del. While traveling in ballast from Port Royal, S.C., to Philadelphia, PaShe was captured on 12 June 1863 by brig Clarence, under Lt. C. W. CSN, which in turn had been captured and then detached by CSS Florida. Lieutenant Read, finding Tacony a far better vessel than his own, transferred his force to her and burned Clarence. Now called Florida No. 2 by her captors, Tacony sailed northward along the New England coast to harass Union shipping.

Between 12 June and 24 June Tacony captured 15 vessels. Her last prize captured on 24 June was the small fishing schooner Archer. By now subject to a frantic and intensive search by the U.S. Navy, Lieutenant Read transferred his force to Archer, hoping to avoid his pursuers. He burned Tacony on the next day 25 June 1863.

The pilot schooner Florida was not issued a letter of marque but gave a better account of herself as a “junior privateer” than did many larger vessels better armed after formal commissioning. Maj. W. Bevershaw Thompson, CSA, chief engineer of the Coast Defense Department fortifying Hatteras Inlet approaches, in a report from Fort Hatteras, N.C. to the Military Secretary, Col. Warren Winslow, 25 July 1861 described her: “We have also a saucy-looking little pilot schooner, the Florida, mounting one 6-pounder rifled cannon. She captured a prize 2 days since, took her crew out, and sent her in with her own men. A U.S. Government steamers gave chase to the prize, and they were obliged to beach her near Nags Head. She, of course, is a total loss.” After this brief moment on stage during the early days of the war, history says no more of the enterprising pilot boat-privateer, it is impossible at this distance even to be sure that she was privately owned and not a North Carolina public vessel.

(SwGnt: l. 252’ b. 30’ dr. 6’ dph. 6’ s. 9 k. cpl. 65 to 94 a. 2 9” s.b., 1 8” s.b., 16.4” r.)

CSS Selma was a coastwise packet built at Mobile for the Mobile Mail Line in 1856. Little doubt now remains that she was originally named Florida. As the latter, she was inspected and accepted by Capt. Lawrence Rousseau, CSN, 22 April 1861, acquired by the Confederacy in June, cut down and strengthened by hog frames and armed as a gunboat, apparently, in the Lake Pontchartrain area. Her upper deck was plated at this time with 3/8"-iron, partially protecting her boilers, of the low pressure type preferred for fuel economy and greater safety in battle. CSS Florida is cited on 12 November 1861 as already in commission and serving Commodore Hollins’ New Orleans defense flotilla under command of Lt. Charles W. Hays, CSN.

The Mobile Evening News editorialized early in December on the startling change “from her former gay, first-class hotel appearance, having been relieved of her upper works and painted as black as the inside of her smokestack. She carries a jib forward and, we suppose, some steering sail aft, when requisite.”

Although much of Florida’s time was spent blockaded in Mobile, she made some forays into Mississippi Sound, two of which alarmed the U.S. Navy’s entire Gulf command: On 19 October Florida convoyed a merchantman outside. Fortunately for her the coast was clear of Union ships and batteries, for Florida fouled the area’s main military telegraph line with her anchor and had no sooner repaired the damage than she went aground for 36 hours. Luck returning, she tried out her guns on USS Massachusetts, “a large three-masted propeller” she mistook for the faster R. R. Cuyler. Being of shallower draft and greater speed, she successfully dodged Massachusetts in shoal water off Ship Island. The havoc caused by one well-placed shot with her rifled pivot gun is described by Commander Melancton Smith, USN, commanding Massachusetts: “It entered the starboard side abaft the engine five feet above the water line, cutting entirely through 18 planks of the main deck, carried away the table, sofas, eight sections of iron steam pipe, and exploded in the stateroom on the port side, stripping the bulkheads of four rooms and setting fire to the vessel . 12 pieces of the fragments have been collected and weigh 58 pounds.”

The first sortie by Florida caused consternation. Capt. L. M. Powell, USN, in command at Ship Island-soon to be main advance base for the New Orleans campaign-wrote to Flag Officer McKean, 22 October, “The first of the reported gun steamers made her experimental trial trip on the Massachusetts, and, if she be a sample of the rest, you may perhaps consider that Ship Island and the adjacent waters will require a force of a special kind in order to hold them to our use. The caliber and long range of the rifled cannon from which the shell that exploded in the Massachusetts was fired established the ability of these fast steam gunboats to keep out of the range of all broadside guns, and enables them to disregard the armament or magnitude of all ships thus armed, or indeed any number of them, when sheltered by shoal water.”

Protecting CSS Pamlico, in contrasting white dress and laden with some 400 troops, “the black rebel steamer” Florida on 4 December had a brush with USS Montgomery in Horn Island Pass that caused jubilation in the Southern press. Comdr. T. Darrah Shaw of Montgomery, finding his 10-inch shell gun no match for Florida’s long-range rifles, signaled Comdr. Melancton Smith for assistance, and when it was not forthcoming, ran back to safety under the guns of Ship Island. Shaw saved Montgomery and lost his command for fleeing from the enemy: Commodore McKean promptly sent Lieutenant Jouett to relieve him and forwarded Shaw’s action report to Secretary Welles, noting, “It needs no comment.” Crowded Richmond Dispatch on 14 December, quoting Mobile Evening News “The Florida fought at great disadvantage in one respect, owing to her steering apparatus being out of order, but showed a decided superiority in the effectiveness of her armament. That gun which scared the Massachusetts so badly, and had nearly proved fatal to her, is evidently a better piece or must be better handled than any which the enemy have.” With the advent of cruiser Florida, she was renamed Selma, in July 1862 Lt. Peter U. Murphey, CSN, assuming command.

On 5 February 1863, while steaming down Mobile Bay with 100 extra men in search of a blockader to carry by boarding, Selma was bilged by a snag in crossing Dog River Bar, entrance to Mobile, and sank in 8 feet of water. Pumped out hastily, she was back in service on the 13th.

By the following year, Selma, Morgan and Gaines, the only ships capable of defending lower Mobile Bay, were having a serious problem with deserting seamen, and intelligence reported Selma’s crew as having fallen as low as 16 men about mid-February. At the crucial battle of 5 August 1864, Selma particularly annoyed Farragut by a steady, raking fire as she stood off Hartford’s bow. After passing the forts, Farragut ordered gunboat Metacomet cast loose from Hartford to pursue Selma. After an hour-long running fight, Murphey, unable to escape to shallows out of reach, had to surrender to faster, more heavily armed Metacomet. Selma lost 7 killed and 8 wounded, including her captain.

She was sold at New Orleans, 12 July 1865, being redocumented as a merchant ship the following month.

(ScStr: t. 429 or 460 l. 171’ b. 29’11” dph. 9’6”)

CSS Florida, built at Greenpoint N. Y. in 1859, was thrice considered for a gunboat before she became one. Contrary to previous interpretation of the official records, closer comparison of entries reveals that she did not serve the Mississippi River Defense Fleet as originally intended but became a Government-owned blockade runner, most authors have confused her with the Mobilian CSS Florida who did not receive her name Selma until July 1862. CSS Florida of New Orleans was one of 14 steamers of Charles Morgan’s Southern Steamship Co. which Maj. Gen. Mansfield Lovell “impressed for public service” at New Orleans 15 January 1862, acting on Secretary of War Benjamin’s orders.

The colorful Lt. Beverly Kennon, CSN, had sought her command but had to be content with Governor Moore. He nostalgically described Florida to a court of inquiry as “a very fast and a very handsome vessel indeed. A direct-acting screw of about 100 horsepower . about the same size in all respects as the U.S. steam sloop Pocahontas.

Of the several ships of the same name, she apparently is the Florida who arrived at Havana 23 March 1862 with 1,000 bales of cotton. Attempting to repeat her success, she had loaded 211 bales in St. Joseph Bay near Pensacola when captured by Acting Master Elnathan Lewis with armed boats from US Bark Pursuit, 6 April. The borders had just captured a sloop, Lafayette, at St. Andrew’s, 20 miles below, and the latter’s Captain Harrison volunteered to pilot Lewis’ party on up to capture Florida. Surprised at 4 o’clock Sunday morning, Florida’s crew were unable to fire their ship.

It later appeared that the pilot, chief mate, first and second engineers were Union sympathizers. Mr. Lewis, after running Florida aground twice and jettisoning 30 bales of cargo, found “it was impossible to bring her out without the assistance of the engineers, pilot, and mate so rather than burn her he considered it prudent to bargain with them, and gave his word that they would receive $500.00 each. They were faithful.”

In the 30-mile passage to the bar, Florida and Lafayette were almost recaptured by the Confederates on 8 April after Capt. R. L. Smith, CSA, and his company of dragoons had galloped 24 hours from Marianna, Fla. to intercept them off St. Andrew’s. A ship’s boat was ambushed with four casualties, one dead, but the prizes continued on to Key West. There, 19 April 1862, Commodore McKean reporting to Secretary Welles confirms that Florida had never been converted: “I have examined her, and find that her upper deck is too light to carry guns of any weight. I have not the

Quibbles and Complaints

Beyond the disappointment of the directional ring, Apple left out some obvious hardware capabilities that are hard to excuse given the second-generation Siri Remote’s $59 price.

Most glaring is the lack of tracking through Find My, especially given that Apple announced this remote alongside AirTag. I can now easily track keys, bags, cars, and even cats, but not my Apple TV’s remote without putting it in a clunky case that also accommodates an AirTag.

Tim Twerdahl, Apple’s vice president of product marketing for home and audio, offered an explanation to MobileSyrup, and frankly, it’s infuriating:

With the changes we’ve made to the Siri Remote—including making it a bit thicker so it won’t fall in your couch cushions as much—that need to have all these other network devices find it seems a little bit lower.

First of all, the second-generation Siri Remote can still easily slip between couch cushions unless you’re like us and keep a cover over the couch—nearly eight years of parenting have made us slightly wiser. Secondly, remotes disappear all the time for reasons unrelated to the couch: being covered by a stray magazine, falling behind the entertainment center, or being carried away by a mischievous child. I’ve long suspected that no one in Apple leadership lives with young children, and the omission of Find My support doesn’t disabuse me of that notion.

Granted, this is the most first-world of problems, but the inclusion of Find My could have made a good product truly brilliant.

Another annoyance is the loss of the gyroscope and accelerometer from the previous model, making a handful of Apple TV games incompatible with the new remote. Twerdahl explained it away by saying you can use an Xbox or PlayStation controller with the Apple TV now, which is fair enough. Still, I don’t see any technical reason that Apple couldn’t have maintained that sliver of backward compatibility.

Including the gyroscope and accelerometer could also have enabled a gestural interface in tvOS, where you’d simply point the remote at the TV screen and move it in different directions to move the selection around. Such a change might have been a big win for tvOS 15.

I suspect that Apple made these exclusions to cut component costs and improve margins. But this is a premium remote for a premium price and shouldn’t skimp on such obvious features.

Vidofner ScStr - History

I've not done this with Skype for Business, but I've modified an Office install after the fact to add Access without uninstalling and reinstalling to use the /adminfile switch.

I used the Office OCT to generate an MSP file that only contained the feature install state I was wanting.

I then took this MSP and packaged it as an SCCM app with a detection method of if the MSACCESS.EXE file existed. The command line I used is msiexec.exe /p "Office2016_Access.MSP".

This successfully modifies the existing install and adds Access as an installed app without redeploying the entire Office suite with an uninstall/reinstall.

Again, haven't used it specifically with SfB, but I wouldn't see why it wouldn't function the same as Access.

Staying in higher education or leave for company with questionable reviews?

Hi all, I've been really struggling with a choice of staying at a higher ed university as an IT engineer or accepting an offer at a company that has not so great glassdoor.com reviews.

Most of the reviews center around not so great leadership and lack of company direction. There have been recent layoffs and direction change there, but it's hard to tell where that will go.

The salary increase would be around a hefty 30% which is why things seem so tempting. But it is very difficult to decide to leave a higher ed environment that will not be going anywhere anytime soon.

Has anyone taken a job with questionable glassdoor.com reviews and if so did they hold true or did you find them to be off the mark? I do know a few people already at this company and they seem to enjoy the environment and state it's not all doom and gloom as reviews would indicate.

I appreciate any input anyone can provide.

Speaking as someone who works in higher education, assuming this is a public university I personally wouldn't leave. But I enjoy job security, great benefits, and a relaxed atmosphere. Any or all of those things might not be as important to you.

If the money is what you are looking at, make sure the benefits don't eat into that 30% increase too much to make a potentially riskier job worth it. Look at benefit premiums and retirement plans. If you work for a state university the retirement is generally why people rarely leave for private sector, at least where I am. When I moved from private to public, my old company tried to match the public job offer but they couldn't because their benefits were nearly as good which ate into a big chunk of the raise I would be getting.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of people go on Glassdoor to complain, and barely anyone gets on there to praise. Think of it like restaurant reviews that way. If someone finds a hair in their food, they are more likely to complain than someone who didn't is to compliment. If you trust the people you know who work there and everything else looks good I don't think there is any reason not to take it.

Thanks for the response. Benefits are very good where I'm at now. I have a unique situation somewhat in that Iɽ be able to retain some of that due to my wife working at the same place currently.

Benefits at new place are somewhat comparable, taking healthcare cost out of the equation and also no dedicated sick time which sucks.

I do agree about glassdoor reviews and tried to keep that in mind. But it's hard to keep negative thoughts out when they're posted right in front of you unfortunately.


  1. Groshura

    I think mistakes are made. I am able to prove it.

  2. Raed

    Thank you for the article. Delighted as always

  3. Langleah

    Absolutely with you it agree. It is excellent idea. It is ready to support you.

  4. Jasen

    I apologize, but I think you are wrong. I can prove it.

  5. Vudolmaran

    I congratulate, what words ..., a magnificent idea

  6. Gozilkree

    In it something is. Thanks for an explanation, I too consider, that the easier the better...

  7. Faetilar

    I think, that you are not right. I am assured. I can defend the position.

Write a message